Following a case study of the tunnel element and dilation joints, it was concluded that the current level of fire protection was not sufficient to protect the omega seals in the event of a fire. A solution to this issue was found in the new design commissioned by the Welsh Government.
The new design required the removal of the existing fire protection to tunnel element joints & replaced to meet the requirements of the new design. ERH with supply chain partner, GAP, carried out the following works:
• Technical advice and supervision role at the planning stages of the project
• Tunnel misalignment survey
• Factory testing of fire protection boards & fixings
• Design optimisation; to allowing maximum yield from raw product (resulting in a significant saving to the project)
• Procurement & preparation of the fire protection boards to design criteria
• Removal & replacement of M&E equipment at joint locations, allowing fire protection works
• Removal of existing fire protection from joints & packing with super wool
• Installation of new fire protection boards
• Inspection & testing 100% of the fixings used to secure boards
This was a challenging project due to the design being a world first, however we worked closely with the client & designer to ensure project was delivered on time & within budget.